The Russian Tennis Federation on 14 January 2016 announced that former World No.1 tennis player Marat Safin joined the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
The official ceremony to induct Safin has been scheduled for 16 July 2016.
The Russian tennis player was announced as a candidate for the induction into the Hall of Fame in October 2015 together with Belgium's Justine Henin, a former women's singles No.1 and seven-time major champion, and Helena Sukova from the Czech Republic, who won 14 major titles in doubles and mixed doubles.
Who is Marat Safin?
• Marat Safin began his professional career in 1997.
• He held the No. 1 world ranking for a total of 9 weeks between November 2000 and April 2001.
• He won his first Grand Slam title at the 2000 US Open after defeating Pete Sampras.
• He won the 2005 Australian Open, defeating Australian Lleyton Hewitt in the final.
• He helped lead Russia to Davis Cup victories in 2002 and 2006.
• He became the first Russian man to reach the semi-finals of Wimbledon at the 2008 Wimbledon Championships.
About International Tennis Hall of Fame
• The International Tennis Hall of Fame honours players and contributors to the sport of tennis.
• The hall of fame and museum are located in the Newport Casino, which was commissioned in 1880 by James Gordon Bennett, Jr. as an exclusive resort for the rich and wealthy.
• The first Hall of Fame members in the International Tennis Hall of Fame were inducted in 1955.
• Martina Hingis became the first Global Ambassador for the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Marat Safin