Smriti Zubin Irani, Union Textiles Minister, along with Mukul Sangma, Chief Minister of Meghalaya, on 30 January 2017 inaugurated the first ever Apparel and Garment Making Centre in the north-eastern state.
The Centre was inaugurated near Ampati in South West Garo Hills.
The Chief Minister of Meghalaya has laid the foundation stone for the Centre in 2015. Its construction was completed by NBCC in a record time of less than two years.
Highlights of the Apparel and Garment Centre
• The Union Ministry of Textiles will implement projects worth Rs. 70 crore in sericulture and weaving sectors for Meghalaya.
• Around Rs. 32 crore has been sanctioned for the state of Meghalaya for promotion of handlooms.
• The Apparel and Garment Making Centre covers an area of 45000 square feet.
• It has been set up at Hatisil near Ampati.
• The Centre has been set up at a cost of approximately Rs. 14.26 crore.
• It has been set under the North East Region Textiles Promotion Scheme (NERTPS) of the Ministry of Textiles.
• The Centre consists of three units. Two of these units accommodate 105 sewing machines each. The third one houses seventy machines.
When: 30 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.