The Ministry of Environment and Forests on 9 May 2016 launched a web-based application on Integrated Waste Management System (IWMS). The system’s web address is www.iwms.nic.in.
The government launched the system for better management of waste. The user-friendly application is capable of tracking the movement of hazardous waste.
Objectives of the Integrated Waste Management System
• To enhance transparency in the working of the Ministry and other Centre/State level regulatory bodies.
• To reduce the time taken for processing applications, seeking various types of permissions under the recently notified waste management regulations.
The application will help:
• People to apply and get online permissions for import and export of certain categories of waste, which is for reuse or recycling or recovery or co-processing.
• Authorities in web-based processing, generation and grant of various types of certification/permissions to the entrepreneurs and industries.
• In implementing concept of paperless/green office.
• The system has inbuilt arrangements for uploading the supporting documents/annexure, along with the online applications.
• In providing an insight to the number of authorization/certificates granted under consent to establish, or consent to operate, from time to time across the country.
• In enabling user agencies to check the fate of their application any time through this web-based portal.
• In generating database on waste generating/processing industrial units under construction, or operation by consolidating the information regarding Consent to Establish, Consent to Operate and Authorization, import/export permission.
• In generating data base on different categories of wastes generated viz hazardous, biomedical, municipal, electronic, and more.
Key benefits of the web-based application
• Availability of State-wise and national database on generation of various types of waste and number of waste generating/ processing industrial units in the country at one place.
• It will bring more transparency in the functioning of the Ministry and other State Authorities.
• Conversion of the current legacy paper house to a green office.
• Single Window Access , which will bridge the gap between industries and other waste generators, recyclers, operators of disposal facilities, SPCBs/ PCCSs, CPCB, municipalities and the concerned ministries for environmentally sound waste management of such wastes.
• Quick decision on applications by the authorities.
• Better coordination and availability of information with the User Agencies (entrepreneurs/industries), Central and State authorities that will further help in achieving the objectives of Ease of Doing Businesses and Make in India, significantly.
• Encapsulation of all the information from state bodies and provide consolidated information at one place.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 9 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.