The Union Tourism Ministry is all set to name Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the mascot of its ‘Incredible India’ campaign.
The position was lying vacant since Aamir Khan’s ouster as the campaign’s brand ambassador in January 2016 for his remarks on Indian intolerance. Names of Bollywood superstars, Amitabh Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra were doing rounds as likely contenders of the role.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a strong standing and his success story has been widely popular among people in India as well as abroad.
• He has visited a host of countries after his appointment.
• Tourism inflow from countries visited by the Prime Minister post his appointment like the US, Germany, Fiji, Brazil, UK, Myanmar and Australia has witnessed a significant jump.
The ministry plans to release a video footage of Modi speaking on tourism in India and abroad.
Key details of the video
• The footage will be taken from the speeches delivered by the Prime Minister on tourism during the last two and a half years.
• It will also include sections from radio and audio releases and videos where Modi has spoken on nation’s uniqueness and diversity.
• It is expected to get released within 45-50 days, coinciding with the peak tourist season.
About ‘Incredible India’ campaign
• Conceptualised in 2002 by V Sunit and Amitabh Kant, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, it is the first marketing initiative of its kind.
• Its main objective is to create a distinctive identity for the country.
• The campaign successfully established India as a high-end tourist destination, generating a 16% increase in tourist traffic in the first year itself.