Odisha Government launches 'Green Mahanadi Mission'
The Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik launched the 'Green Mahanadi Mission' on July 24. Under the mission, 2 crore saplings will be planted along the Mahanadi river and its tributaries.
The Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik launched the 'Green Mahanadi Mission' on July 24, 2018.
The CM launched the mission by planting a sapling on the bank of river Mahanadi during his visit to Boudh and Subarnapur districts in western Odisha. Speaking on the occasion, the Chief Minister called upon people to go for plantation drive during this monsoon.
The 'Green Mahanadi Mission' is a plantation drive under which 2 crore saplings will be planted along the Mahanadi river and its tributaries.
The main objective of the mission is to stop soil erosion on river banks and recharge the groundwater reserve.
The mission aims to protect the Mahanadi River and keep it alive.
• Under the mission, more than five crore saplings will be planted over an area of 41,000 hectares.
• The massive plantation drive will be undertaken along the banks of Mahanadi, Ib and Tel rivers.
• Over two crore trees will be planted along the rivers in the state.
• The volunteers will plant fruit-bearing trees like mango, jackfruit and jamun within one km radius of the river bank.
• The plantation will be done on either side of major rivers of Odisha as well along the roadside length of about 5,000 km over a period of five years at an expenditure of around Rs 5,000 crore.
• The plantation drive will be carried out in 16,500 hectare and 500 km. It will be implemented jointly by the departments of Forest, Horticulture and Watershed Development.
About Mahanadi River
• The Mahanadi is a major river in East Central India. It drains an area of around 141,600 sq km and has a total course of 858 km.
• The Mahanadi valley is known for its fertile soil and flourishing agriculture.
• The Hirakud Dam across the river is India’s longest major earthen dam in India.
• The dam irrigates over 150,000 hectares during the Kharif season and over 100,000 hectares during the Rabi season in Odisha.
• The dam also supplies 260 MW of hydroelectric power.
• The river flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
• The river’s water has been decreasing in recent times. The tree plantation along the river’s bank is expected to help increase the water level of the river and help it store water.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS