25 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, FIFA's best player of the year 2018 and new committee for jail reforms among others.
1. Who is the new president-elect of Maldives?
a) Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
b) Abdulla Yameen
c) Mohamed Nasheen
d) Maumoon Gayoom
2. Which country will host the first-ever General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA)?
3. Under Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), how much insurance cover will be provided to each family?
a) Rs 20 Lakh
b) Rs 15 Lakh
c) Rs 10 Lakh
d) Rs 5 Lakh
4. When is the Antyodaya Diwas celebrated in India every year?
a) September 23
b) September 24
c) September 25
d) September 26
5. How many people have been benefitted under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana on the first day of launch itself?
6. As per the latest data of the Law Ministry, what is the current ratio of judges in comparison to the number people of the country?
a) 19 judges per 10 lakh people
b) 25 judges per 10 lakh people
c) 15 judges per 10 lakh people
d) 50 judges per 10 lakh people
7. The Supreme Court has constituted a committee to look into jail reforms. The committee will be headed by who among the following retired SC judges?
a) Prafulla Chandra Pant
b) Ranjana P. Desai
c) Amitava Roy
8. Who has said that the candidates contesting elections cannot be disqualified on basis of criminal charges?
a) Delhi High Court
b) Supreme Court
c) Madras High Court
d) Allahabad High Court
9. Which footballer has won FIFA's best player of the year 2018 award?
a) Cristiano Ronaldo
b) Lionel Messi
d) Luka Modric
10. India is going to organise 'Gandhi March' in which nation?
a) New Zealand
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
Ibrahim Mohamed Solih was elected as the President of the Maldives following the elections in the Indian Ocean archipelago nation. Solih was declared as the winner with 58.3 percent of the votes, compared to 41.5 percent secured by incumbent President Yameen Abdul Gayoom of Progressive Party of Maldives.
2. (a) India
The first-ever General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be held at Delhi-NCR from October 2, 2018. The 3-day Assembly will include an Inaugural Session, followed by the Assembly Session and Technical Sessions. The ISA, international treaty-based alliance of 121 solar-rich nations, had become a legal entity in December 2017.
3. (d) Rs 5 Lakh
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana is the world's largest government-funded healthcare programme targeting more than 50 crore beneficiaries. Under the scheme, over ten crore families will be provided health assurance with Rs 5 lakh each every year.
4. (c) September 25
25th September is observed as Antyodaya Diwas every year to mark the birth anniversary of Deendayal Upadhyaya. Deendayal Upadhyaya was born in Mathura in 1916 and he was the leader of the Bharatiya Jana Sangh from 1953 to 1968.
5. (b) 1000
Health Minister J P Nadda announced that 1000 people have been benefited on the first day of the launch of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY). Under the scheme, over ten crore families will be provided health assurance with Rs 5 lakh each every year.
6. (a) 19 judges per 10 lakh people
The Union Law Ministry had prepared a document in March 2018, as per which India has 19 judges per 10 lakh people on an average. The document reveals that while the subordinate courts have a shortage of 5748 judicial officers, the 24 high courts face 406 vacancies.
7. (d) Amitava Roy
The Supreme Court on August 27 had reserved its order on the issue of constituting a committee to deal with issues pertaining to jails across the country. The new committee headed by former SC judge Justice Amitava Roy will look into the aspect of jail reforms and suggest measures to deal with them.
8. (b) Supreme Court
The Supreme Court has ruled that candidates cannot be disqualified from contesting elections merely because charges have been framed against them in a criminal case. The court also directed the legislature to consider framing a law to ensure decriminalisation of politics.
9. (d) Luka Modric
Croatian footballer Luka Modric was named the world's best male player at the Best Fifa Football Awards in London. The 33-year old Real Madrid midfielder beat former team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah to the award. Modric won his third Champions League title in a row in May and guided Croatia to their first World Cup final in July.
10. (c) Netherlands
India will organise 'Gandhi March' from the iconic Peace Palace at The Hague in Netherlands to Grote Kerk on September 30, 2018 to launch the two-year long celebrations of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The march will see participation of people from all nationalities and around 20 ambassadors of different countries.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week