UK PM in Ukraine: Boris Johnson meets Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kyiv: Know in 10 Points
UK PM Boris Johnson traveled to Kyiv in Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict with Russia to meet Ukrainian President Zelenskyy in person, in a show of solidarity with the Ukrainian people.
UK PM in Kyiv: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson flew to Ukraine's embattled capital city Kyiv to meet Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in an unannounced visit on April 9, 2022. This is the first visit by a major foreign head of state to Ukraine after Russia's invasion.
The UK Prime Minister traveled to Kyiv in Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict with Russia to meet President Zelensky in person, in a show of solidarity with the Ukrainian people.
He tweeted saying, "Today I met my friend President @ZelenskyyUa in Kyiv as a show of our unwavering support for the people of Ukraine." Johnson announced a new package of financial and military aid as a testament to their commitment to Ukraine's struggle against Russia’s barbaric campaign. The aid reportedly includes £100 million of military aid and more missiles including anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles.
The Ukrainians have the courage of a lion.— Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) April 9, 2022
President @ZelenskyyUa has given the roar of that lion.
The UK stands unwaveringly with the people of Ukraine.
Slava Ukraini 🇬🇧 🇺🇦 pic.twitter.com/u6vGYqmK4V
UK PM Boris Johnson in Kyiv: Know All About the Visit in 10 Points
1. The UK PM's visit to Ukraine was first announced by the Ukrainian Embassy in the UK with a picture of the two leaders meeting with a caption that read 'Surprise'.
2. UK PM himself tweeted that he met President Zelenskyy as a show of the UK's unwavering support for the people of Ukraine.
3. The Ukrainian President accompanied the UK Prime Minister on a walk through the streets of Kyiv.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy walk through the streets of Kyiv in Ukraine.— ANI (@ANI) April 10, 2022
(Source: Reuters) pic.twitter.com/OuYG4YZpPY
4. Boris Johnson announced that the United Kingdom will be sending additional anti-aircraft missiles, 800 anti-tank missiles and other high-level military equipment to support the Ukrainian Army's fight against Russia.
5. The United Kingdom will also provide additional financial aid to Ukraine.
6. The United Kingdom is also expected to send around 120 armoured vehicles to Ukraine.
"We're setting out a new package of financial&military aid which is a testament of our commitment to his country's struggle against Russia’s barbaric campaign," says British PM Boris Johnson after meeting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in Kyiv amid #RussiaUkraineConflict pic.twitter.com/4Sx4fK6sza— ANI (@ANI) April 9, 2022
7. The UK PM also praised Zelenskyy's resolute leadership and the invincible heroism and courage of the Ukrainian people.
8. The Ukrainian President expressed his gratitude for the UK Prime Minister's visit, calling it very important during very difficult and turbulent times for their country. He said that the leadership of Great Britain in providing his country help in defence will also be in history.
View this post on Instagram
9. The UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's visit to the Ukrainian Capital follows visits to Kyiv by European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen and EU's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell and Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer.
10. The visits come after Ukrainian forces were successful in pushing Russian troops out from the towns surrounding the capital.
The UK PM had held a joint press conference with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz earlier on April 9th at Downing Street and said that they shared “the same sense of horror and revulsion” at the attack on a railway station in Kramatorsk, eastern Ukraine, adding that it “shows the depths to which Putin’s once-vaunted army had sunk”.
The two leaders accused Russian President Putin of war crimes saying, "Britain and Germany are horrified by Putin’s invasion and have agreed that our two countries must go further to help Ukraine."
He had announced that the UK will send more defensive weapons to Ukraine and will work with G7 partners to target every pillar of the Russian economy to ensure Putin fails.
EU Commission President's visit to Ukraine
The European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen visited Ukraine and met President Zelenskyy ahead of UK PM's visit on April 9th to deliver the key message that Europe is on their side.
She tweeted saying, "We can never match the sacrifice of the Ukrainian people. But we are mobilizing our economic power to make Putin pay. We have imposed heavy sanctions against Russia & are already preparing the 6th wave. Russia will descend, while Ukraine is marching towards a European future."
The EU Commission President announced that the European Union has allocated 1 billion euros to support the Ukrainian armed forces with weapons and more will come. She announced that they further propose another €500 million to support the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
Ursula von der Leyen further said that Ukraine belongs to the European family and that they will accelerate the process to include Ukraine in EU membership.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS