The Union Cabinet on 11 October 2017 approved the revision of pay scales for about 8 lakh teachers and other equivalent academic staff of universities and colleges recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and also for the staff of Centrally Funded Technical Institutions.
The approval came following the implementation of the recommendations of the 7th Central Pay Commission for Central Government employees.
• The decision will benefit 7.58 lakh teachers and equivalent academic staff in the 106 Universities and Colleges which are funded by the UGC/MHRD.
• It will also benefit 329 Universities which are funded by State Governments and 12912 government and private aided colleges affiliated to State Public Universities.
• The revised pay package will cover teachers of 119 Centrally Funded Technical Institutions such as IITs, IISc, IIMs, IISERs, IIITs, NITIE, etc.
• The approved pay scales will be effective from 1 January 2016.
• The annual Central financial liability on account of this measure will be about Rs 9800 crore.
• The implementation of this pay revision will enhance the teachers' pay in the range of Rs 10400 and Rs 49800. This revision will register an entry pay growth in the range of 22 per cent to 28 per cent.
• For the State Government funded institutions, the revised pay scales will require adoption by the respective State Governments.
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 11 October 2017