Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Dr Harsh Vardhan on 17 August 2017 launched the “Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali” campaign.
The Ministry also administered a Pledge for a Green and Healthy Diwali to the gathering of students. The Pledge will be widely circulated to the schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
The ministry launched the campaign while addressing a gathering of about 800 children from schools of Delhi and NCR.
Highlights of the Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali Campaign
• The campaign is aimed at enlightening the children about harmful fire crackers.
• It will motivate children to not to buy fire crackers, instead buy a gift, food items, or sweets for the poor and underprivileged children living in their locality.
• As a part of the campaign, the Environment Ministry will undertake various activities to create awareness among various stakeholders and encourage people to participate in combating air pollution.
• Some of the activities to promote Green Diwali among school children include stickers/logo distribution, poster competition, advertisement on public transport systems, public appeal using Radio.
• As a part of the social media campaign, an online competition will be conducted, where any individual or organisation can make a video or audio clip on the theme ‘Pollution Free Diwali’.
The campaign was launched with an aim to negate the chances of adverse environmental conditions in the country.
Diwali 2016 saw extreme pollution levels post the Diwali celebrations due to excessive bursting of crackers, which contributes significantly to air and noise pollution. The pollution reached such levels that Government had to declare an emergency situation, which led to closing down of schools, construction sites and power stations.
This year, India is being the host to FIFA U-17 World Cup that is scheduled to be held in October 2017, the Diwali month. Thus, the Government is working to ensure that there is no inconvenience caused in the conduct of the event and the national image stays protected and enhanced.
When: 17 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider