The Union Government on 30 January 2017 launched nationwide Sparsh Leprosy Awareness Campaign (SLAC). The Campaign was launched on the occasion of Anti-Leprosy Day.
The Anti-Leprosy Day is observed annually in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi to rememorize his selfless efforts and care for the people affected by leprosy.
About Sparsh Leprosy Awareness Campaign
• The Sparsh Leprosy Awareness Campaign aims at communicating the importance of early detection and treatment of leprosy.
• Under the campaign, nationwide Gram Sabhas will be organised in cooperation and coordination with allied sector of health department/ministries.
• The SLAC aspires to promote community participation to reorient the delivery of the service of diagnosis and treatment of leprosy in its early stages.
• The Campaign will be conducted as an annual activity during the fortnight beginning from 30 January 2017 till 13 February 2017.
About Leprosy Disease
• Leprosy is also known as Hansen's disease (HD).
• It is a chronic infection caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium leprae and Mycobacterium lepromatosis.
• Symptoms that develop include granulomas of the nerves, respiratory tract, skin and eyes.
• The disease results in a lack of ability to feel pain. Weakness and poor eyesight are also associated with the disease.
When: 30 January 2017