Union Government launches Swachh Survekshan-2017 to assess 500 cities
Cities will be ranked based on the reports by urban local bodies on the progress made towards construction of toilets, feedback of citizens and independent observation of sanitation levels.
Union Minister of Urban Development M.Venkaiah Naidu on 6 August 2016 launched Swachh Suvekshan-2017 project to assess and rank 500 cities based on levels of sanitation and efforts made by respective urban local bodies.
It also aims to capture progress towards achieving Open Defecation Free status.
Highlights of the Swachh Survekshan-2017
• Cities will be ranked based on the reports by urban local bodies on the progress made towards construction of toilets, feedback of citizens and independent observation of sanitation levels.
• Cities with a population of one lakh and above each, heritage and tourism cities, capital cities with less than one lakh population are included in this survey.
• Quality Council of India which conducted the last Survey in 73 cities will conduct the survey in 500 cities and towns.
Swachhata App and Swachhata Helpline
• Naidu also launched a web portal Swachhata App and Swachhta Helpline 1969 to enable citizens associate more and more with Swachh Bharat Mission in urban areas.
• Citizens can post photos of unhygienic places in urban areas on Swachh App and they will be informed of action taken by respective urban local bodies in specific time period.
• Using toll free Helpline Number 1969, citizens can seek information about the ways of participating in cleanliness mission and can also enquire the status of their applications for construction of toilets.
Asli Tarakki campaign
• Asli Tarakki campaign was also launched to highlight the need for construction of toilets and using them well.
• This campaign will be mounted on TV channels and in print media.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App