Union government sacked DRDO Chairman Avinash Chander
Union Government removed Chairman of DRDO Avinash Chander, 16 months before his contract was to end. Decision of termination of his contract was taken by appointments committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Union Government on 13 January 2015 removed Avinash Chander, the Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO). He was removed 16 months before his contract was to end.
The appointments committee of Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the termination of the contract of Chander with effect from 31 January 2015.
Chander who was the secretary, Defence Research and Development cum Director General, DRDO and scientific advisor to the defence minister had retired from the post on 30 November 2014 after attaining the age of 64 but he was given a contract for 18 months till 31 May 2016.
About Avinash Chander
• Chander is the chief architect of Agni series of ballistic missile systems
• He was behind the successful development of 5000-km range Agni-V, which enabled India to join the elite club of five advanced nations
• He pioneered research in innovative energy management guidance system that enabled utilisation of solid propulsion, the main thrust and the backbone of the long-range missile system
• DRDO developed critical technologies like composite rocket motors and advanced high accuracy navigation system, under his leadership
• He laid the technology road map for missile complex laboratories and led the R&D in the advanced navigation systems, onboard computers, servo valves and seekers
• He joined DRDO in 1972 after completing graduation in electrical engineering from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
• He is a fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineers
• He is a recipient of Padma Shri