Former American diplomat Rosemary DiCarlo was on March 29, 2018 appointed as the Head of UN Political Affairs, one of the most high-profile positions of the United Nations (UN).
With this appointment, DiCarlo became the first woman to head this position. DiCarlo will succeed Jeffrey Feltman.
Feltman had been overseeing the post of Under-Secretary-General for UN Political Affairs since 2012 and was influential enough to regulate UN efforts to end conflicts worldwide.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
• A former deputy US ambassador to the United Nations, DiCarlo brings more than 35 years of experience in public service and academia.
• At present, she is serving as the President of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy, a group that focuses on solutions to conflicts involving the US interests.
• She took charge as the President of the National Committee on American Foreign Policy in 2015.
• DiCarlo is also a senior fellow at the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs of the Yale University.
• DiCarlo served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian affairs and as the Director of United Nations Affairs at the National Security Council in Washington.
• Her areas of expertise include Russia and the former Soviet Union as well as the Middle East.
• She has a Doctorate in Comparative Literature from the Brown University.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.