West Bengal on 26 March 2017 lifted the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time at the GMC Stadium, Bambolim, Goa.
West Bengal’s Manvir Singh struck in the 119th minute for a 1-0 win over Goa.
With the win, West Bengal ended a six-year wait having last won the title in 2011. Goa last won the title in the year 2009.
About Santosh Trophy
• The Santosh Trophy is an association football knock-out competition.
• It is contested by the regional state associations and government institutions under the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
• Before the start of the National Football League in 1996, the Santosh Trophy was considered the top domestic championship in the country.
• The competition is held every year with 31 teams who are divided into groups and who must qualify for the tournament proper through the preliminary round.
• The competition was started in 1941.
• The tournament is named after the president of the Indian Football Association (West Bengal's football association) at the time, Sir Manmatha Nath Roy Chowdhary of Santosh.
• The 2015–16 edition of the tournament was won by Services.
Who: West Bengal
When: 26 March 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.