13 February: World Radio Day
World Radio Day was observed globally on 13 February 2016 with the theme Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster.
To mark the occasion, various activities conducted across India celebrating importance of radio in the day to day life.
In Odisha, a two-day annual international event Outreach International Radio Fair 2016 was inaugurated in Bhubaneswar.
About World Radio Day
• United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) annually celebrate the World Radio Day by planning activities with broadcasters, organizations and communities around the world.
• The day is a global celebration of radio as a forum for entertainment and information, as a bridge of communication for remote communities and its role in empowering people.
• UNESCO at its 36th General Assembly on 3 November 2011 proclaimed 13 February as World Radio Day. The first World Radio Day was officially celebrated in 2012.
• World Radio Day marks the anniversary of the first broadcast by United Nations Radio in 1946. 13 February 1946 was the day when the UN Radio transmitted its first call sign.
• The theme for 2015 World Radio Day was Youth and Radio.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: World Radio Day
Where: Across the world
When: 13 February 2016