Institute of Banking and Personnel Selection (IBPS) will organize common written examination for recruitment of Specialist Officers. The IBPS SO Exam 2015 will be conducted in the month of February 2015.
The banking team of jagranjosh.com has come up with concept and sample questions for Problems Based on Number (Quantitative Aptitude). The concept provided by us will help you to understand the topic. The sample questions offered by us are framed by keeping in view need of the question paper.
Type 1 Word Problems
Example 1. The sum of an integer and its reciprocal is 17/4. Find the number.
Solution: - Let the number be x. Then,
Hence, the number is 4.
Type 2 Data sufficiency
Directions (Examples 2) In each of the following questions, a question followed by two statements numbered I and II am given. You have to read both the statements and then
(1) If the data given in statement A alone are sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement B alone are not sufficient to answer the question
(2) If the data given in statement B alone are sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement a alone are not sufficient to answer the question
(3) If the data in either statement A alone or in statement B alone are sufficient in answer the question
(4) If the data in both the statements A and B are not sufficient to answer the question
(5) If the data given in both the statements A and B are necessary to answer the question
Example 4. What is the two-digit number?
A. The difference between the two digits is 8.
B. The sum of the digits is equal to the difference between the two digits.
Solution: - (5) Let the ten's and unit's digit be x and y respectively.
Then, from A, x + y = 8 and from B, x – y = 8
Upon solving, we get x = 8 and y = 0
Required number = 80
Thus, both A and B are needed to get the answer.