Award-winning Hollywood film producer and Wimbledon tennis player Ashok Amritraj was on 27 January 2017 appointed as UN in India Goodwill Ambassador for the SDGs.
In this capacity, Ashok Amritraj will work with the United Nations in India to amplify awareness about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
About Ashok Amritraj
• He is an internationally-renowned iconic filmmaker. He has made over 100 films during the span of his 30-year extraordinary career.
• His films garnered global acclaim as well as worldwide revenues in excess of USD 2 billion.
• He has been a pioneering force in bridging the gap between India and Hollywood through film and media.
• At present, he is the Chairman and CEO of the Hyde Park Entertainment Group.
• Ashok Amritraj is also a former tennis player.
• During his 9-year career, he competed in doubles at the Wimbledon and the US Open.
• Winning the World Team Tennis Championship title with LA Strings in 1978 was one of his notable achievements in the career.
About Sustainable Development Goals
• The United Nations General Assembly adopted the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda in September 2015.
• The SDGs, also known as Global Goals, build on the success of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) that were in force between 2000 and 2015.
• The primary objective of the SDG is to end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change.
Who: Ashok Amritraj
When: 27 January 2017