Australia beats Iran to clinch 2017 FIBA Asia Cup
The 2017 FIBA Asia Cup was the 29th continental basketball championship in Asia.
Australia on 20 August 2017 was crowned the FIBA Asia Cup 2017 basketball champions.
The team defeated Iran 79-56 in the final to grab the title.
On the other hand, South Korea clinched the third place with a win over New Zealand 80-71.
About FIBA Asia Cup
• The FIBA Asia Cup is an international basketball tournament.
• The FIBA Asia Cup was formerly known as the FIBA Asia Championship.
• The tournament takes place every two years between men's national teams of Asia.
• This was the Asian qualifying tournament for the FIBA Basketball World Cup and the Olympic basketball tournament.
• The 2013 and 2015 was the last Asian Championship to serve as qualifiers to the FIBA Basketball World Cup and the Olympic Games.
• The 2017 FIBA Asia Cup was the 29th continental basketball championship in Asia.
• The tournament was organised by FIBA Asia.
• It was held at the Nouhad Nawfal Stadium in Lebanon from 8 to 20 August 2017, a week earlier from the initial scheduled date.
• The tournament determined the composition of the joint FIBA Asia and FIBA Oceania qualifiers for the 2019 FIBA World Cup.
• The top five teams in the 2016 FIBA Asia Challenge earned an extra berth in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup for their respective sub-zones.
• Australia and New Zealand participated for the first time in this tournament.