Australia on 20 August 2017 was crowned the FIBA Asia Cup 2017 basketball champions.
The team defeated Iran 79-56 in the final to grab the title.
On the other hand, South Korea clinched the third place with a win over New Zealand 80-71.
About FIBA Asia Cup
• The FIBA Asia Cup is an international basketball tournament.
• The FIBA Asia Cup was formerly known as the FIBA Asia Championship.
• The tournament takes place every two years between men's national teams of Asia.
• This was the Asian qualifying tournament for the FIBA Basketball World Cup and the Olympic basketball tournament.
• The 2013 and 2015 was the last Asian Championship to serve as qualifiers to the FIBA Basketball World Cup and the Olympic Games.
• The 2017 FIBA Asia Cup was the 29th continental basketball championship in Asia.
• The tournament was organised by FIBA Asia.
• It was held at the Nouhad Nawfal Stadium in Lebanon from 8 to 20 August 2017, a week earlier from the initial scheduled date.
• The tournament determined the composition of the joint FIBA Asia and FIBA Oceania qualifiers for the 2019 FIBA World Cup.
• The top five teams in the 2016 FIBA Asia Challenge earned an extra berth in the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup for their respective sub-zones.
• Australia and New Zealand participated for the first time in this tournament.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider