Bill Gates topped the World Billionaire annual list of Forbes
Bill Gates is the World’s top richest Billionaire according to Forbes magazine’s annual World billionaires list
Bill Gates, Microsoft Co-founder is the World’s top richest Billionaire with worth of 76 billion dollars according to Forbes magazine’s 28th Annual World billionaires list released on 3 March 2014.
Gates is back on the top rank after four years, reclaiming the title from the telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu of Mexico (2nd), who ranked 1 for the past four years.
Highlights of Forbes list
• The list has 1645 billionaires with an aggregate net worth of 6.4 trillion dollar which increased from 5.4 trillion dollar in 2013.
• The US leads the list of billionaires in the world with 492 billionaires, followed by china with 152 and Russia with 111. The list has new billionaires from Algeria, Lithuania, Tanzania and Uganda.
• Amanico Ortega, Spanish clothing retailer is ranked 3rd for the second year in a row followed by Warren Buffet (4), Oracle founder Larry Ellison (5), Koch Industries CEO Chalres Koch (6), Chairman and CEO of Arvest Bank group (10).
• The world’s youngest billionaire was Perenna Kei from Hong Kong.
• Out of 1645 billionaires, a record 172 are women- up from 138 last year. Christy Walton is the richest woman with worth of 36.7 billion dollar.
• The list features a record 268 new ten-figure fortunes, including 42 new women billionaires. The notable newcomers include World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Vince McMahon, fashion king Michael Kors and Denise Coates of UK online betting firm Bet365. Facebook's COO, Sheryl Sandberg, joins the ranks for the first time, as does the company's longtime vice president Jeff Rothschild.
• WhatsApp founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton join the ranks of Silicon Valley's wealthiest for the first time.
• The year's biggest dollar gainer was Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, whose fortune jumped USD 15.2 billion, to USD 28.5 billion, as shares of his social network soared.
• Roughly two-thirds of the billionaires built their own fortunes, 13 per cent inherited them and 21 per cent have been adding on to fortunes they received.
Billionaires in India
• In India the total number of billionaires stands at 56. The pack of 56 is led by Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) chief Mukesh Amabani with a net worth of 18.6 billion dollars. His brother Anil Ambani is ranked 221 with net worth of 5 billion dollar.
• The other Indian billionaires in the list are Arcelor Mittal Chairman and CEO Laxshmi Mittal (52), Wipro Chairman Azim Premji (61), co-founder of Sun Pharma Dilip Shanghvi (82), HCL co founder Shiv Nadar(102), Hinduja brothers (122) and Kumar Birla (191).