Youth Olympic Games 2018: Saurabh Chaudhary bags Gold in 10-m air pistol
• Pistol shooter Saurabh Chaudhary bagged the Gold Medal in the 10-metre air pistol event in the ongoing Youth Olympic Games in Argentina.
• Chaudhary blew the field away in the final as he finished a massive Seven and a half points ahead of his closest rival.
• It is India’s third gold medal in the history of Youth Olympic Games and all three have come in this edition in Buenos Aires.
Asian Para-Games 2018: Archer Harvinder Singh clinches seventh gold for India
• Archer Harvinder Singh clinched seventh gold for India in the men's individual recurve category, while track-and-field athletes added a silver and a bronze to India's tally in the Asian Para-Games in Jakarta.
• Harvinder defeated China's Zhao Lixue 6-0 in the W2/ST category final to claim the top honours and took India's gold tally to seven.
• Monu Ghangas claimed the silver in the men's discus throw F11 category, while Mohammed Yasser fetched a bronze in the men's shot put F46 category.
Cyclone Titli makes landfall in Odisha, crosses coast
• Two people have been killed in Andhra Pradesh's Srikakulam as cyclone Titli uprooted trees and electric poles and damaged hutments in the region and in Odisha's Ganjam and Gajapati districts after making landfall on October 11, 2018.
• The cyclone also triggered heavy rainfall in at least three districts and caused minor damage to power and communication.
• Power supply and telephone links got disrupted and road communication snapped due to uprooted trees at many places of Gajapati district.
• Road communication between Paralakhemundi and Mohana and some other block headquarters in Gajapati had been disrupted under the impact of the cyclone.
• In all, eight districts Ganjam, Gajapati, Khurda, Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak and Balasore have been affected by "very severe cyclone Titli".
Centre sets minimum river flows for the Ganga
• In a first, the Central Government notified the minimum environmental flows for River Ganga that has to be maintained at various locations on the river.
• The upper stretches of the Ganga from its origins in the glaciers and until Haridwar would have to maintain 20 percent of the monthly average flow of the preceding 10-days between November and March 2018.
• Environmental flows are the acceptable flow regimes that are required to maintain a river in the desired environmental state or predetermined state.
• The new norms would require hydropower projects located along the river to modify their operations so as to ensure they are in compliance.
Japanese Prime minister Shinzo Abe offers support to Swachh Bharat Mission
• Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe offered his Government’s support to the Swachh Bharat Mission.
• In a written message, Abe said that Japan will cooperate to promote the Clean India initiative under Prime Minister Modi’s leadership.
• He congratulated India on the success of the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention.
• The Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention (MGISC) was a four-day international conference that brought together Sanitation Ministers and other leaders in WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) from around the world.
• A host of national and international dignitaries attended the event, which was inaugurated by the President and addressed by the Vice President of India.
• The Convention culminated on October 2, 2018, Gandhi Jayanti, which was also celebrated as the Swachh Bharat Diwas.
President to inaugurate the 13th Annual Convention of Central Information Commission
• President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the 13th Annual Convention of Central Information Commission (CIC) on October 12, 2018.
• The Annual Convention on the topic “Data privacy and Right to information, Amendment in the RTI Act and Implementation of the RTI Act” is aimed at recommending measures for improving the transparency and accountability with a view to improve governance.
• The Convention shall deliberate on three specific subjects- “Data privacy and Right to Information”, “Amendment in the RTI Act” and “Implementation of the RTI Act.”
• All the present and former Chief Information Commissioners and Information Commissioners of the Central Information Commission (CIC), State Information Commission, Central public information officers as well as the other government officers will participate.
• RTI Activists and NGOs associated with implementation of RTI Act will also attend the Convention.
Home Ministry exempts Sikh women from wearing helmet in Chandigarh
• The Union Home Ministry advised the Chandigarh Administration to follow the notification issued by Delhi Government giving an exemption to Sikh women from wearing protective headgear (helmet) while driving two wheelers in UT Chandigarh.
• This is in response to the representation received by to the Union Home Minister from representatives of Sikh bodies.
• The Department of Transport, Delhi Government, vide its notification issued on June 4, 1999, carried out the amendment in Rule 115 of Delhi Motor Vehicle Act 1993, making it optional for women whether riding on pillion or driving motorcycle to wear a protective headgear.
• The Rule was further amended vide notification dated August 2014 to replace the word “Women” with the word “Sikh Women”.
Japan’s passport most powerful: 2018 Henley Passport Index
• According to the 2018 Henley Passport Index, the Japanese passport is the strongest in the world.
• Japanese citizens can travel without a visa or gain a visa on arrival in 190 destinations.
• The Singapore passport, which allows travel to 189 destinations without a prior visa, is at second rank.
• Germany, South Korea and France are placed at third rank.
‘India for Humanity’ initiative launched
• The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) recently launched the ‘India for Humanity’ initiative.
• Under the initiative, the MEA will partner with a charitable organisation for holding artificial limb fitment camps in various countries.
• The camps will initially be held in 12 countries identified through Indian missions.
• MEA partnered with Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti known for its ‘Jaipur Foot’ under the initiative.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week