20 May 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh.com wants to help every aspirant of competitive exams to revise the day at an ease. These quizzes will help you in answering questions which can/may be asked in the next exam that will be faced by you. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like report on desiltation of river Ganga, code of conduct for the disputed South China Sea and Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014 among others.
1. A committee that was constituted to prepare guidelines for desiltation of river Ganga from Bhimgauda (Uttarakhand) to Farakka (West Bengal) has submitted its report to Ministry of Water Resources. Who of the following was the chairperson of the committee?
a) Madhav Chitale
b) AK Sinha
c) Justice (Retd) Girdhar Malviya
d) VK Bhasin
2. China and Southeast Asian countries on 18 May 2017 agreed to a draft framework for a long-mooted code of conduct (CoC) for the disputed South China Sea. Consider the following statements in context to the agreement.
I. The report assessed the competitiveness landscape of 140 economies.
II. China and the ASEAN had been hoping to agree on the framework this year, 25 years after committing to draft it.
III. Senior officials have completed the negotiations of the draft Code of Conduct (COC) framework, ahead of the mid-2017 timeline which leaders of ASEAN and China had set.
Which is/are correct?
a) Only III
b) Only I and II
c) Only I and III
d) I, II and III
3. India in May 2017 imposed anti-dumping duty on a chemical used in pharma industry and aluminium foil to protect domestic industry from cheap imports. The duty was issued on the import of these materials from this country.
4. This organisation was presented with the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014 at a function in New Delhi.
d) Space Application Center
5. According to senior staffers at the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) twenty million people in four African countries are on the brink of famine. Which of the following is not part of the four African nation that is on the brink of famine?
c) South Sudan
6. Name the former coal secretary who was convicted in a coal scam case by the special CBI court.
a) K S Kropha
b) K C Samaria
c) HC Gupta
d) Pawan Kumar Ahluwalia
7. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh chaired the first meeting of the Chief Ministers of five States on India-China Border in
a) New Delhi
8. India in May 2017 pledged its commitment to eliminate tuberculosis by
9. Name the state government that was directed by the Supreme Court to give 50 per cent reservation to the in-service candidates for admission to post-graduate medical diploma courses as per the regulations of the Medical Council of India.
a) Uttar Pradesh
10. Chief Information Commissioner, RK Mathur said, Central Information Commission (CIC) will dispose off all cases filed up to 2015 by
a) July 2017
b) September 2017
c) December 2017
d) March 2018
11. In a move triggered by a spike in measles cases, this country has declared a new law that makes a series of childhood vaccinations a condition of school inscription.
12. What is India’s rank in international tourist arrivals (ITA) in both 2014 and 2015 in the latest UNWTO’s World Tourism Barometer, as of March 2017?
13. The state has agreed to release 3 TMC of water to Karnataka from 20 May 2017 to mitigate the severe drinking water problem of three districts of the state.
14. Name the team that won the overall trophy of the 18th All India Police Band Competition-2017 that concluded on 19 May 2017.
a) Punjab Police
b) Indian Army
15. Name the state that in May 2017 launched an e-textbook portal for school students.
1. (a) Madhav Chitale
2. (c) Only I and III
3. (a) China
4. (c) ISRO
5. (d) Zimbabwe
6. (c) HC Gupta
7. (c) Gangtok
8. (b) 2025
9. (c) Gujarat
10. (b) September 2017
11. (a) Italy
12. (c) 24
13. (a) Maharashtra
14. (c) CRPF
15. (a) Haryana