Delhi Assembly on 3 November 2015 passed the Members of the Legislative Assembly of the National Capital Territory of Delhi (Salaries, Allowances, Pension, etc) (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
The bill seeks around 400 percent hike in the salaries of the MLAs.
The Bill is based on the recommendations of three-member PDT Achary panel. The panel on 6 October 2015 in its report on MLA’s salary packages recommended 400% hike in basic salary of Delhi MLAs. The other two members of the panel were KV Prasad and Balraj Malik.
Major highlights of the Bill
• It will allow the basic salaries of MLAs to go up from 12000 rupees to 50000 rupees.
• The bill proposes to hike in constituency allowance from current 18000 to 50000 rupees.
• The bill also provides for a reimbursable sum of 70000 rupees per month as allowance under 'Secretarial, Research and Office Assistance' which is 30000 rupees at present.
• The legislators will be entitled to a communication allowance of 10000 rupees per month as well as 30000 rupees as monthly conveyance allowance for each MLA.
• MLAs overall monthly package will be over 2 lakh rupees as against the existing 88000 rupees.
• The Delhi government will now send the bill to the Union Government for its approval.
The Achary panel was constituted after a ground of AAP legislators in July 2015 demanded a significant hike in salary, arguing their earnings were not enough to run their family and offices.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Passed in Delhi Assembly
When: 3 November 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.