Ex-Ambassador of India to UN Hardeep Singh Puri appointed as Secretary General of ICM
Hardeep Singh Puri was appointed as Secretary General of Independent Commission on Multilateralism (ICM) on 23 September 2014.
Hardeep Singh Puri was appointed as Secretary General of Independent Commission on Multilateralism (ICM) on 23 September 2014. He is a former Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations.
Under the direction of the Secretary General, and in close cooperation with the chair and co-chairs, the final report of the ICM will be finalized.
Independent Commission on Multilateralism (ICM)
Independent Commission on Multilateralism (ICM) launched by International Peace Institute (IPI) is aimed at identifying policy proposals to enhance the multilateral system's ability to respond to evolving global challenges.
ICM will be chaired by former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and co-chaired by Foreign Minister of Norway Borge Brende and Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird.
The commission will be a comprehensive two-year programme and it will be funded by the Canada and Norway governments.
The structure of ICM
The commission would have a three-tier structure.
- Advisory council of eminent persons: It would meet at least once a year to provide advice and serve as a sounding board for the commission
- Ministerial-level board: It is expected to meet every six months with each minister serving in his or her personal capacity
- Ambassadorial-level board: It is expected to meet every six months. Each ambassador will serve in his or her personal capacity.
About Hardeep Singh Puri
- Singh served at various diplomatic posts in Brazil, Japan, Sri Lanka, and the United Kingdom.
- He was the Coordinator of the UNDP/UNCTAD Multilateral Trade Negotiations Project to help Developing Countries in the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations.
- He served as the chairman of the United Nations Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee from 2011 to 2013.