Facebook Inc on 22 July 2016 announced the successful completion of test flight of a solar-powered drone named Aquila.
The social media giant believes that Aquila will help to extend Internet connectivity to every corner of the planet.
The company ultimately hopes to have a fleet of Aquilas that can fly for at least three months at a time at 60000 feet and communicate with each other to deliver internet access.
Key highlights of Aquila
• Aquila is a lightweight, high-altitude aircraft.
• It flew at a few thousand feet for 96 minutes in Yuma, Arizona.
• It has a wingspan wider than a Boeing 737.
• The body of the plane is made of a carbon fiber composite.
• It weighs less than 1000 pounds.
• The aircraft will use new laser-beam technology to deliver fast Internet to people in a 60-mile radius.
• It will transmit a signal that can be received by the antennas of small towers and dishes on the ground.
• The antennas will convert the signal into Wi-Fi or 4G networks.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 22 July 2016