Forbes on 5 August 2015 released the first-ever list of 100 Richest People In Technology. The list is dominated by American billionaires as just over half of the tech billionaires are from the United States.
The tech barons from Asia made a strong showing as well with 33 people hailing from that region. Eight people from Europe made the cut with a minimum net worth of 2 billion US dollars. While only two barons from the Middle East and one from Latin America made into the list.
Forty out of the 100 richest people are from California alone. The list spotted only seven women among them Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Apple’s late chief Steve Jobs was the wealthiest, with an estimated net worth of 19.5 billion dollars.
Top Billionaires in the list
• Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates ranked number one among tech tycoons with a net worth of 79.6 billion US dollars.
• Oracle CEO Ellison ceded second spot with a net worth estimated at 50 billion US dollars.
• Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos ranked at third place with net worth of 47.8 billion US dollars.
• Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg came at fourth with net worth of 41.2 billion US dollars.
• Google co-founder Larry Page was ranked at fifth place.
• Another Google co-founder Sergey Brin ranked sixth.
• Alibaba chief Jack Ma was spotted at seventh place.
• Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer stood at eighth position with value of 22.7 billion US dollars.
• Laurene Powell Jobs & family, Founder and Chair of Emerson Collective, stood at ninth spot with net worth of 19.5 billion US dollars.
• Dell CEO and Chairman Michael Dell got the tenth spot with worth of 19.4 billion US dollars.
Indians in the list of 100 Richest People In Technology
Two Indian technology tycoons Azim Premji, Chairman of Wipro and Shiv Nadar, Founder of HCL, bagged place in Top 20 on the Forbes list. As per the list, Azim Premji with net worth of 17.4 billion US dollars ranked at 13th position followed by Shiv Nadar on the 14th spot with net worth 14.4 billion US dollars.
Two Indian-origin technology czars Romesh Wadhwani and Bharat Desai are also in the list, they were ranked 73rd and 82nd respectively.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
What: Released by Forbes
When: 5 August 2015