Former Bihar Chief Minister Ramsundar Das died
He became Chief Minister of Bihar following resignation of Karpuri Thakur, who was heading Janta Party government in Bihar after Congress was voted out of power in assembly election in Bihar in 1977.
Former Bihar Chief Minister and senior JD(U) leader Ramsundar Das died on 6 March 2015 at Patna medical college hospital. He was 95.
He is survived by two sons and one daughter.
The State government declared a two day state mourning and his body will be cremated with full state honour.
About Ramsundar Das
• He served Bihar as its Chief Minister from 1 April 1979 to 17 February 1980 as a leader of Janta Party.
• He became Chief Minister of the state after Karpuri Thakur resigned from the post. Thakur was heading Janta Party government in Bihar after Congress was voted out of power in assembly election in Bihar in 1977.
• He was also a member of the Lok Sabha from Hajipur twice in 1991 and in 2009.
• He hailed from a Dalit community played an active role in the 1942 Quit India Movement
• He was a member of Bihar Legislative Council from 1968 to 1977
• He was born on 9 January 1921 at Gangajal village near Sonepur on the confluence of the Ganga and Gandak in Saran district of north Bihar