Akhlaqur Rahman (AR) Kidwai, who served as Governor of States including Bihar, West Bengal and Haryana, passed away on 24 August 2016 following a brief illness. He was 96. Kidwai is survived by two sons and four daughters.
He was a Rajya Sabha member from 2000 to 2004.
About Akhlaqur Rahman Kidwai
• He was born in 1920 in Baragaon village of Barabanki district in Uttar Pradesh.
• He served as Governor of several States for a record period of 17 years- in Bihar (twice from 1979 to 1985 and 1993 to 1998), West Bengal (1998 to 1999) and Haryana (2004 to 2009).
• He also held the temporary charge of Governor of Punjab and of Rajasthan and Administrator of Delhi and of Chandigarh.
• He also served as the Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) from 1974-78.
• He had also served as the chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University.
• In January 2011, he was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second highest civilian award for his outstanding contribution towards public affairs.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App