Fortune, an American business magazine, on 20 August 2015 released its maiden Change the World List.
It listed out the companies that have made significant progress in addressing major social problems as a part of their core business strategy.
The list consists of a range of companies including telecommunications (Vodafone), retailing (Walmart), automobiles (Ford; Toyota) and information technology (Google; Facebook, IBM).
Highlights of Change the World List
• Among the 51 companies it listed out the UK based Vodafone and Kenya based safaricom together ranked no.1 in the list. The joint service M-Pesa lets people who lack bank accounts use their smart phones to save and transfer money, receive pensions, and pay bills is. At present 42 percent of Kenya’s GDP is transacted through it.
• The second rank was given to the search engine giant Google (Alphabet) that provides various communication tools to bridge gaps across the space and time.
• While Toyota automobile company was place at the third position, retail giant Walmart was at the fourth.
• Bangladesh based Grameen Bank was at the 12th position that helped millions of people to overcome poverty.
• Other important companies that are in the list are Alibaba, Starbucks, Unilever, Nike and Twitter.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App