Fourth Corvette of Project-28 christened Kavaratti launched
The four ships of Project-28 built by GRSE, Kolkata have been designed indigenously by the Directorate of Naval Design, New Delhi and bear the testimony to the acclaimed legacy of Naval Designers.
The fourth Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) Corvette of Project-28 christened Kavaratti was on 19 May 2015 launched at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE), Kolkata.
In keeping with the nautical traditions, the ship was launched by Manita Singh, wife of the Hon’ble Union Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh.
The four ships of Project-28 built by GRSE, Kolkata have been designed indigenously by the Directorate of Naval Design, New Delhi and bear the testimony to the acclaimed legacy of Naval Designers. The ships have been constructed using high grade steel (DMR 249A) produced in India.
Key Characteristics of ASW Corvettes
- With a displacement of 3300 tonnes, the sleek and magnificent ASW Corvettes span 109.1 meters in length and 13.7 meters at the beam.
- They are propelled by four diesel engines to achieve speeds in excess of 25 knots and have an endurance of more than 3000 Nm.
- The P-28 corvettes also boast of revolutionary Rail-less Helo Traversing System, Foldable Hangar Door, use of Personnel Locator System and use of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Superstructure integrated with the Steel Hull in the third and fourth ships of the Class.
- These ships have common raft mounted Gear Box and Diesel Engines, which give the vessels very low radiated underwater noise.
- The P-28 Ships also have Total Atmospheric Control System (TACS) and an Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS) which include Integrated Bridge System as well as Battle Damage Control System.
- They also incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and manoeuvrability.
- Enhanced stealth features of the corvettes have been achieved by including Low Radar Cross Section (RCS) signature through full beam superstructure, inclined ship sides and reduced Infra Red (IR) signature by use of Infra Red Suppression System (IRSS) device.
- The ships are also equipped to carry and operate one multiple role helicopter.
In addition to these features, Kavaratti will be packed with an array of state of art weapons and sensors, including a Medium Range Gun, Torpedo Tube Launchers as well as Rocket Launchers, Close-In Weapon System and Chaff System.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App