The Girls First initiative was in news in the third week of January 2016 as the results showed that it helped in improving emotional and physical well-being of school children in Bihar.
The initiative is a first of its kind project in the country as integrates evidence-based practices from the fields of social-emotional rearing, restorative justice, positive psychology and emotional intelligence.
Outcomes of Girls First initiative
• It is implemented by Corstone India Foundation with the support of David and Lucile Packard Foundation.
• Between 2013 and 2014, 3500 maginalized adolescent girls were served under the project.
• The initiative helped in reducing school drop outs and early marriage and improving their psychosocial health.
• As per a study, it was revealed that emotional resilience increased by 33 percent and health knowledge by 99 percent.
• While clean water behaviour was improved by 96 percent, attitudes about gender equality by improved 18 percent in the same period.
• At present, the project is scaled to serve 30000 boys and girls in 250 schools in partnership with the Bihar Education Project Council.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.