Google on 9 May 2016 announced the launch of its free high-speed public WiFi service at railway stations of Ujjain, Jaipur, Patna, Guwahati, and Allahabad.
Google has deployed service over RailWire which is an extensive fibre network of Indian Railway's arm Railtel that provides Internet services.
With this, the free Wi-Fi service is now available to users at 15 stations across the country.
Google had a phenomenal response to the service Mumbai Central and hence it is extending the project to cover key suburban Mumbai stations working with RailTel.
The Railtel-Google free high-speed public WiFi service is currently available at Mumbai Central, Pune, Bhubaneshwar, Bhopal, Ranchi, Raipur, Vijayawada, Kacheguda, Ernakulum Junction, Vishakhapatnam, Jaipur, Patna, Guwahati, Ujjain, and Allahabad.
• RailTel Corporation is a Mini Ratna (Category-I) Public Sector Unit of neutral telecom infrastructure providers.
• It is one of the largest of its kind in the India owning a Pan-India optic fiber cable (OFC) network on exclusive Right of Way (ROW) along Railway track.
• The OFC network covers all important towns and cities of the country and several rural areas covering 70 percent of India's population.
• RailTel with strong nationwide presence is committed to bring cutting edge technology and offer innovative services to the Indian Telecom market.
• The network is supported by multiple of 10G/2.5G based STM-64/16 system rings.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 9 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.