Government approves 122 research projects under ‘IMPRINT-2’ scheme
The Union Government has approved 122 new research project proposals worth Rs 112 crore for funding under its Impacting Research Innovation and Technology ‘IMPRINT-2’ scheme. Of the selected 122 new projects, 81 are sponsored by the industry.
The Union Government has approved 122 new research project proposals worth Rs 112 crore for funding under its Impacting Research Innovation and Technology ‘IMPRINT-2’ scheme.
The proposals were approved on August 4, 2018 at the IMPRINT 2 Apex Committee meeting held in New Delhi. The initiative aims to advance research in energy, healthcare, security and defence domains in the high education institutions.
• Among 2145 proposals, 122 best proposals were selected for funding under IMPRINT-2. Of the selected 122 new projects, 81 are sponsored by the industry.
• The selected proposals include 35 (ICT),18 (Advanced Materials), 17 (Healthcare Technology), 12 (Energy Security), 11 (Security &Defence), 9 (Sustainable Habitat), 7 Water Resource & River Systems, 5 (Environment & Climate), 4 (Manufacturing) and 4 (Nano Technology).
• The implementation of 142 projects under IMPRINT-1 has got underway. These projects have received support from several ministries, councils and departments in addition to the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
• The knowledge portal for monitoring the progress of these research projects and to disseminate findings will be launched in October 2018.
IMPRINT is the first of its kind government-supported initiative to address the major science and engineering challenges that India must address and champion to enable, empower and embolden the nation for inclusive growth and self-reliance.
The initiative is aimed at:
- Developing new engineering education policy
It also provides the overarching vision that guides research into areas that are predominantly socially relevant.
Among the selected projects under IMPRINT-1, the following are under implementation:
• Development of cost-effective Magneto-Rheological (MR) Fluid Damper in two wheelers and four wheelers automobile to improve ride comfort and stability.
• Indigenous development of ultra high strength steel with stainless property for space application.
• High strength, wear and corrosion resistant steel for high-speed rail and elastic clip.
• Low-cost indoor occupancy and climate monitoring system for energy conservation.
• Development of artificial pancreas for closed loop blood glucose control of type-1 diabetic patients in India.
• Development of a smartphone camera-based sensor for detection and remediation of chromium pollution in water.
• Efficient glycemic control for the management of diabetes complications and intervention with a novel point of care device for community healthcare.
• Smart classrooms: Technology aids for effective teaching in large classrooms.
• Designing and fabrication of an aerodynamic lens for nanoparticles of variable size.