Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on 22 May 2014 launched the Smart Village programme to improve public facilities in villages.
The programe was launched to mark the completion of two years of her government. She assumed the office on 22 May 2014 and succeeded the incumbent Prime Minster Narendra Modi.
Features of Smart Village programme
• It was conceptualized on the lines of Smart Cities initiative of the Union Government under which 100 cities were chosen for infrastructure development.
• Under the Smart Village programme, 300 villages will be selected.
• Villages will be shortlisted by the state-level committee consisting of experts on the basis of Gram Panchayat’s performance through a transparent process.
• The objective of the programme is to make villages self-reliant, clean and hygienic.
• Toilets, cleanliness, drop-out rate in primary schools, malnutrition ratio, Anganwadi facilities, vaccination of children, ATVT services are some of the parameters on which a village will be adjudged as a Smart Village.
• These villages will get 80 lakh to 2 crore rupees cash assistance from the State government to implement the programme.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 22 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.