The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting on 29 January 2013 constituted an Expert Committee to review the institutional frame work of Prasar Bharati as well as its relationship with Government, its role in continuance as a public broadcaster and the measures that needs to be taken to ensure technical upgradation of the organization. Sam Pitroda is the Chairperson of the committee.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Committee are as follows:
• To suggest measures to sustain, strengthen and amplify Prasar Bharati`s role as a Public Broadcaster with special reference to its relationship with Government in the emerging context.
• The committee is responsible for reviewing the status of implementation of the recommendations, which were made by different committees after undertaking the study of Prasar Bharati, mainly, the Sengupta committee, the Bakshi Committee and the Narayanamurthy committee. It is also responsible to suggest a road map ahead to enhance the reach and potential of Prasar Bharati.
• The committee is responsible for identifying the ways for digitization of the archived material available with Doordarshan (DD) and All India Radio (AIR), which includes digitization of the materials of the Independence Movement. As well suggest the measures for development of infrastructure data centre, digitalization system and networks
• The committee is responsible to find the ways offer suggestions to use the new media for delivering digital content; both in broadcast mode (DTH) and in a demand-based mode (Free on social media like You-Tube and on payment through IPTV).
• Identify the ways and develop strategy to create a network of domestic and overseas business partners to ensure wider reach to a worldwide audience that includes creation of an exclusive overseas service.
• Any other statutory issue that the Committee may like to consider.
Members appointed by the government in the Expert Committee are:
• Sam Pitroda is appointed as the Chairperson of the committee. At present he is the advisor to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure & Innovations
• Asha Swaroop (member of the committee), he is a retired IAS and former Secretary to the Govt. of India
• Dr. B.K. Gairola (member of the committee), he is the Mission Director of e-Governance
• Shekhar Kapur (member of the committee), he is the Member of the National Innovation Council
• Prof. M.P. Gupta(member of the committee), he is from IIT Delhi - Member
• Jitendra Shankar Mathur (member of the committee), he is the Additional Secretary and nominated member on Prasar Bharati Board
• Shri Jawhar Sircar (Convenor member of the committee), at present he is the Chief Executive of Prasar Bharati
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.