The India Meteorological Department (IMD) under the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences on 18 May 2015 signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Power System Operation Corporation Ltd (POSOCO) for optimum use of weather information/forecast in the power sector.
POSOCO Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
Highlights of the MoU
• All weather information provided by ESSO-IMD will be used by the Power System Operators across the India for better management of Indian Power System.
• IMD will make available current weather information for the identified stations; and forecasts at different time scales of temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction and rainfall of the identified stations/sectors.
• IMD will also provide weather warnings about likely occurrences of thunderstorm, heat wave, cold wave, rainfall, fog, etc. over various states for up to 72 hours.
• IMD will provide state or region wise Monthly/Seasonal outlooks of weather conditions.
• Both the parties agreed to provide expert opinion and knowledge support in areas of Weather information and its affect on power distribution system.
• Data and Inputs will be exchanged to encourage further study and research work.
• POSOCO will provide economic assessment of impact of weather and climate information. Regular feed mechanism will be put in place for continued up-gradation of the services.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 18 May 2015
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.