Indian Railways launches Mission Retro-Fitment to enhance the passenger experience
This is one of the largest retro fitment project in the world as Indian Railways will refurbish and retrofit 40000 coaches by 2022-23.
Railways Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu on 13 June 2017 launched Mission Retro-Fitment to enhance the passengers experience by upgrading existing fleet of coaches with better furnishing, aesthetics & amenities and better safety features to provide a safe and comfortable travel.
Refurbished coaches will have world class ambience along with LED Lights, modular toilets with concealed plumbing, branded fittings, powered venetian blinds, Anti-Graffiti coating, Fire and Smoke Detection System, Bio toilets, Braille Signage, increased number of mobile / laptop charging points, etc.
Highlights of Mission Retro-Fitment
• Mission Retro-Fitment is an ambitious program to upgrade the level of furnishing and amenities in the coaches of Indian Railways.
• This is one of the largest retro fitment project in the world as Indian Railways will refurbish and retrofit 40000 coaches by 2022-23.
• It will provide better travel experience as the interiors of the coaches will be refurbished and the retrofitment of Centre Buffer Coupler with balanced draft gear will add more to safety of the passengers.
• This mission is challenging as it will be carried out without affecting the traffic operation.
• The approximate cost for refurbishing and refitting a coach is Rs 30 lakhs.
• 57 coaches have already been refurbished by Coach Rehabilitation Workshop of Bhopal.
• Some of the refurbished coaches are running in Varanasi on New Delhi Mahamana Express since January 2016.