Italy’s Sara Errani on 20 February 2016 defeated Czech Republic’s Barbora Strycova to clinch the WTA Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships women’s singles title.
A former Top 10 fixture and French Open finalist, Errani's greater big-match experience shone through as she emerged victorious by a 6-0, 6-2.
About Sara Errani
• As of 14 September 2015, Sara Errani is the Italian no. 3 and ranked world no. 21 in singles and world no. 29 in doubles.
• She has won nine career singles titles, and 25 career doubles titles, including five Grand Slam championships and five Premier Mandatory/Premier 5 titles.
• Known as a clay-court specialist, she won three titles on clay going into the 2012 French Open, where she reached the finals in both the singles and doubles tournaments, winning the doubles title with her partner Roberta Vinci. They also won the doubles titles at the 2012 US Open, and the 2013 and 2014 Australian Open. By winning the 2014 Wimbledon Women's Doubles title together, they became only the fifth pair in tennis history to complete a Career Grand Slam.
About Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships
• The Dubai Tennis Championships is also known as the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships for sponsorship reasons.
• It is a professional tennis tournament owned and organized by Dubai Duty Free and held annually in Dubai, United Arab Emirates on outdoor hardcourts.
• The tournament takes place at the end of February and organizes a men's and women's event.
• The tournament takes place under the patronage of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and ruler of Dubai.
• In 2001, the ATP upgraded the tournament from a 250 level to a more prestigious 500 level tournament.
• Romania’s Simona Halep was the winner of the women’s singles title in 2015.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sara Errani
When: 20 February 2016