Justice Tinlianthang Vaiphei on 16 May 2016 was sworn in as the acting Chief Justice of Tripura High Court. He was administered the oath of office by the Governor Tathagata Roy at the Raj Bhavan in Agartala.
At present Vaiphei is the Acting Chief Justice of the Gauhati High Court. He replaced Deepak Kumar Gupta, who was transferred as the chief justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court.
Vaiphei was appointed as an Additional Judge in the Gauhati High Court in July 2003. He was elevated as the Chief Justice (Acting) in October 2015.
About Tripura High Court
• It is the High Court of the state of Tripura. It was established in March 2013.
• Prior to the establishment, a bench of the Gauhati High Court used to have jurisdiction over the state.
• The seat of the High Court is at Agartala, the capital of Tripura.
• Deepak Gupta worked as the first Chief Justice of the court.
Article 223 of the Constitution
• This article empowers the President of India to appoint acting Chief Justice to a High Court.
• Appointment of acting Chief Justice takes place when the office of Chief Justice of High Court is vacant.
• Such an appointment also takes place when any such Chief Justice is, by reason of absence or otherwise, unable to perform the duties of his office.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 16 May 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.