Jagran Josh Logo

Lok Sabha passed the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill, 2015

May 4, 2016 17:10 IST

Lok Sabha on 3 May 2016 passed the Compensatory Afforestation Fund bill, 2015 that seeks to establish setting up of a National Compensatory Afforestation Fund and also a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund.

The bill paves the way for unlocking of nearly 41000 crore rupees earmarked for forest land which is lying unspent.

It was introduced in the Parliament (Lok Sabha) for the first time on 8 May 2015.

Highlights of the Bill

• The Bill establishes the National Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of India, and a State Compensatory Afforestation Fund under the Public Account of each state.

• These Funds will receive payments for: (a) compensatory afforestation, (b) net present value of forest (NPV), and (c) other project specific payments.  The National Fund will receive 10 percent of these funds, and the State Funds will receive the remaining 90 percent.

• These Funds will be primarily spent on afforestation to compensate for loss of forest cover, regeneration of forest ecosystem, wildlife protection and infrastructure development.

• The Bill also establishes the National and State Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authorities to manage the National and State Funds.

Background

A High Level Committee on Environment Laws observed that quality of forest cover has declined between 1951 and 2014, with poor quality of compensatory afforestation plantations being one of the reasons behind the decline.

A 2013 CAG report noted that state forest departments lack the planning and implementation capacity to carry out compensatory afforestation and forest conservation. With the share of funds transferred to states increasing from 10 percent to 90 percent, effective utilisation of these funds will depend on the capacity of state forest departments.

Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App

Is this article important for exams ? Yes6 People Agreed
Read more Current Affairs on: Lok Sabha , Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill , 2015 , Bill passed

DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

Latest Videos

Register to get FREE updates

    All Fields Mandatory
  • (Ex:9123456789)
  • Please Select Your Interest
  • Please specify

  • ajax-loader
  • A verifcation code has been sent to
    your mobile number

    Please enter the verification code below

Newsletter Signup
Follow us on
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK