Gujarat’s success story in Water Management: Sriram Vedire
A book titled Gujarat’s success story in Water Management was released on 9 August 2014 by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi and the Party National President Amit Shah at JLN Stadium in Delhi. This book was written by BJP’s National Convener of Water Management Cell, Sriram Vedire.
This Book explains how the water resources were utilised and its achievments in the development of the Gujarat's Economy.
Highlights of the Book are
• In Gujarat’s plan, there was no case for only large storage or for only small localized storages. All kinds of alternatives were welcomed. According to a study by IIM, Ahmedabad, 10700 check dams built by the year 2000, helped drought proof 320000 hectares of area.
• Since then, Gujarat has built 15 times more structures; it is very likely that these played a big role in agrarian resurgence visible in Saurashtra, North Gujarat and Kutch.
• These developments have increased water supply for agriculture either directly supplying water for irrigation or indirectly by recharging ground water levels.
• Agriculture in Gujarat after 2000 seems to have picked up dramatically recording average annual growth rate of 9.6 percent during 2000/01 to 2006/07.
• Departments and agencies and convergence of schemes.
• Gujarat state has taken up reform process and extensive community engagement in a mission mode approach, by creating a special purpose vehicle in the form of Water and Sanitation Management Organization (WASMO).
• Gujarat received many Awards and Recognitions for their achievements.
• WASMO received commonwealth CAPAM International Award.
• The State initiative of fostering community Participation was awarded the prestigious United Nations Public Service Award-2009.
• WASMO received Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration in 2008 for initiatives in drinking water management with community participation.
• The United Nation’s Development Program (UNDP) has included WASMO’s activity as a case study in its annual publication.
Where: at JLN Stadium in Delhi
When: on 9 August 2014
PM Modi plans to connect with youth through his book to be published later this year
Indira Gandhi: A Life in Nature authored by Jairam Ramesh launched
Mitchell’s book, Who Has Seen the Wind, returned to library after 52 years with apology note
India might become an educationally failed nation: Ganesh Devy