Operation Smile-II: Campaign to rescue/rehabilitate the missing children
Union Government on 14 December 2015 requested the states and Union Territories (UT) to start Operation Smile-II from 1 January 2016. The operation will end on 31 January 2016.
In this regard, the Union Home Secretary, Rajiv Mehrishi has written a letter to the Chief Secretaries of all states and Union Territories for participation in Operation Smile-II in their respective State/UT.
Operation Smile-II is a campaign to rescue/rehabilitate the missing children. It is a follow up of the exercise Operation Smile that helped in rescuing and rehabilitating 9146 missing children.
Activities to be carried out under Operation Smile-II
• All children residing in shelter homes, platforms, bus stands, roads, religious places and others will be screened by trained police personnel.
• Before 1 January 2016, the Police Personnel from each state will be properly trained in methodology to extract information from such children tactfully without their getting intimidated.
• The police personnel will also be trained about various provisions like Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) JJ Act, Protection of Child Right Act and others.
• To know the magnitude of the problem, data with full details of number of cases of missing children will be maintained and shared at intra-State and Inter-state level.
• Information about Child Welfare Committees (CWCs) will be prepared and shared among all rescue teams and stakeholders.
• During the operation, the particulars of such identified children will be uploaded on the Missing child portal of the Ministry of Women and Child Development by the respective State Police.
• Rehabilitation measures whenever needed will be taken up in coordination with the other line Departments like Department of Women & Child Development, Police, Labour, and others so that scope of re-victimization is eliminated.
• It has also been emphasized that public awareness should be increased by way of national campaign, advertisement on national media and others.
Earlier, all States/UTs were advised to take up a month campaign titled Operation Smile in the month of January 2015 to rescue/rehabilitate the missing children. Similarly, another dedicated campaign titled Operation Muskaan was launched in the month of July 2015 throughout the country. 19742 children were rescued and rehabilitated under Operation Muskaan.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Operation Smile-II
Where: Across India
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.