Oscar and Booker Prize winner writer Ruth Prawer Jhabvala died on 3 April 2013 in Manhattan, New York after a long illness. She died at the age of 85 and is survived by her three daughters, her husband Cyrus Jhabvala and six grandchildren.
About Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
• She was a long time member of Merchant Ivory Productions and wrote 22 films for it over a period of four decades
• Her long association with Merchant Ivory Productions won her two Academy Awards (Oscars) for her work on the films A Room with a View and Howards End, an adaptation of the E.M. Forster novels.
• She won her booker in 1975 for her fiction Heat and Dust
• She wrote 19 novels and short stories during her carrier span of more than five decades
• She lived in India for a period of about two-decades
Her last story was published in the New Yorker Magazine in its March 2013 issue with the title The Judge’s Will.
When: 3 April 2013