Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Conference on Academic Leadership on Education for Resurgence on September 29, 2018 at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
The conference saw participation from the Vice-Chancellors and Directors of more than 350 universities. The event was jointly organised by UGC, AICTE, ICSSR, IGNCA, IGNOU, JNU and SGT University.
Theme of the Conference
The theme of the Conference was to deliberate on the challenges facing the Indian education system and to work out a plan for a paradigm shift both in terms of achieving academic outcomes and also in the regulation of education.
The inauguration was followed by breakout sessions covering the following eight thematic areas:
• Improving pedagogy for learner-centric education – use of artificial intelligence for customised learning
• From job seeking to job creating – improving innovation and entrepreneurship
• Improving quality of research – focus on requirements of India
• Bringing synergy among educational institutions – pooling of academic resources like sharing of libraries and exchange of knowledge
• Building inclusive and integrated campuses – taking up activities which could bring emotional attachments of students to the campus
• Participatory Governance models – facilitating the participation of students in governance processes
• Building robust financial models – supplementing Government resources by getting funds from alumni and also from corporate (CSR)
• Promoting value education by building in universal values and life skills into education.
Besides this, the valedictory session was chaired by Union Human Resources Minister Prakash Javadekar. During the session, each of the eight groups was supposed to make a presentation on the course of action that they had agreed upon. This was then debated further in the Plenary Session and it is expected that a comprehensive action plan would emerge from this deliberation for improving the higher education sector in the country.
The conference is in continuation of the efforts being made by the Ministry for evolving an action plan for transformation of the higher education sector. The first among this was held in Delhi during vice-chancellors’ conference from July 26 to 28, 2018.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
Who: PM Narendra Modi
Where: New Delhi