PM Narendra Modi suggested qualitative changes in PMNRF functioning
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 July 2014 suggested certain qualitative changes in the functioning of Prime Minister's National Relief Fund (PMNRF)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 July 2014 suggested certain qualitative changes in the functioning of Prime Minister's National Relief Fund (PMNRF). The suggested qualitative changes would be on the lines of Gujarat Model.
The suggested changes will target the selection of beneficiaries and will give priority to the poor and children.
Besides, PM Modi also reviewed the functioning of the other Prime Minister's funds -- the PM's discretionary fund, the PM's National Defence Fund, the PM's fund for student's aid, and the PM's fund for folk art.
Suggested Qualitative Changes
- Selection of beneficiaries should be done in a more comprehensive, scientific and humanitarian basis, giving priority to children, poor and cases from government hospitals.
- Cases involving life-threatening diseases should be accorded priority and applications should be decided on need and merit
- Pendency in appeals for help should be minimised
- The draw to select the cases should be conducted in a manner that does not leave out any genuine case
- A letter from the Prime Minister should be sent to all beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries whose appeals have been approved for grant of relief will be informed through an SMS alert
About Prime Minister National Relief Fund
The PM National Relief Fund (PMNRF) was established in 1948 with public contributions to assist displaced persons from Pakistan. The PMNRF fund consists entirely of public contributions and does not get any budgetary support. The corpus of the fund is invested with banks in fixed deposits. Disbursements are made with the approval of the Prime Minister.
The resources of the PMNRF are utilised primarily to render immediate relief to families of those killed in natural calamities like floods, cyclones and earthquakes and to the victims of major accidents and riots. Assistance from PMNRF is also rendered for medical treatment like heart surgeries, kidney transplantation, cancer treatment etc.
If you have any Question/Point on the above information, please ask/discuss it in the Current Affairs Group