The Ministry of Railways on November 1, 2018 launched the ‘Unreserved Mobile Ticketing’ facility (UTS on Mobile) to enable seamless booking of unreserved tickets all over Indian Railways, wiping out the need for passengers to wait in queues for purchasing the tickets.
With this, the booking of unreserved tickets on all non-suburban sections across all Zonal Railways will now be made available on mobile from November 1, 2018. This move aims to promote three C’:
• Cashless transactions (Digital payment)
• Contact less ticketing (no need to physically visit the point of sale)
• Customer convenience and experience.
A pilot project for booking of unreserved tickets through mobile phone was launched in December, 2014 on select stations in Central Railways to provide customers the convenience of booking of unreserved tickets.
Gradually, unreserved Mobile ticketing was extended to all suburban sections in metropolitan cities of Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata and Secunderabad between 2015 and 2017 along with the facility of paperless ticketing.
The ‘UTSONMOBILE’ app was also introduced on Non-Suburban sections in 2015 initially on Delhi-Palwal section of Northern Railway which was subsequently extended to other non-suburban sections of Northern, South Central, Southern, South Western, East Coast, South East Central and South Eastern Railways.
Process of ticket booking
• The facility of booking unreserved tickets, including season tickets and also platform tickets is available through the ‘UTSONMOBILE’ app, available for Android, IOS and Windows phone users.
• The process of ticket booking involves downloading the application and registration by furnishing the necessary details.
• After successful registration, the user is given user-ID and password through which the user can log-in and book ticket through this application within the ticketing area and outside the Geo-fenced area.
• The payment could be made R-Wallet, debit card, credit card, net-banking, UPI and other e-wallets, thus, promoting government’s directives to promote all digital modes of payments.
Geofenced area is station premises and train route within which ticket cannot be booked. Ticketing area is outside the geofenced area as defined in the application.
• Seamless booking of unreserved tickets all over Indian Railways
• Obviate the need for passengers to wait in queues for purchasing the tickets
• Enhance the experience for booking unreserved tickets – journey, season tickets, platform tickets
• Environment friendly