Former Finance Secretary Ratan P Watal was appointed as Principal Adviser (Social Sector) in NITI Aayog for 3-years.
His appointment was on 20 May 2016 approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Prior to this appointment, Watal was the Union Finance Secretary between September 2015 and April 2016.
Watal, 60, is a 1978-batch Andhra Pradesh cadre IAS officer and holds masters degree in economics.
About NITI Aayog
• The National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on 1 January 2015.
• It replaced the decades old Planning Commission of India.
• NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
• At the core of NITI Aayog’s creation are two hubs – Team India Hub and the Knowledge and Innovation Hub that reflect the two key tasks of the Aayog.
• The Team India Hub leads the engagement of states with the Central government, while the Knowledge and Innovation Hub builds NITI’s think-tank capabilities.
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Arvind Panagariya are the Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson of the institution respectively.
• Amitabh Kant is the Chief Executive Officer of the NITI Aayog.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Ratan P Watal
When: 20 May 2016