Additional Solicitor General of India and former Parliamentarian Satya Pal Jain was on 10 June 2016 appointed as a part-time member of the 21st Law Commission of India.
The appointment will be in addition to his charge as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
About Satya Pal Jain
• He is a noted constitution lawyer and senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader.
• He has been the Dean of the Law Faculty of Panjab University and is a Member of the Panjab University Senate for the last 40 years.
About 21st Law Commission of India
• The President constituted the 21st Law Commission of India on 1 September 2015 and will end on 31 August 2018.
• Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan, retired Judge of the Supreme Court, is the Chairman of the Commission and Justice Ravi R Tripathi, retired judge of Gujarat High Court and Bimal N Patel Director, GNLU are the other nominated members of the Commission.
• The Secretary Department of Legal Affairs & Secretary, Legislature Department of Ministry of Law & Justice of the Government of India are ex-officio members of the Commission.
Law Commission of India
• It is an executive body established by an order of the Government of India in 1955.
• It works for legal reforms and its members will be primarily legal experts, who are entrusted a mandate by the Union Government.
• The Commission is established for a fixed tenure of three years and works as an advisory body to the Union Ministry of Law and Justice.
• The First Law Commission was established in 1955 with the then Attorney-General of India MC Setalvad as its Chairman.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App