The Jnanpith Selection Board on 23 December 2016 conferred the 52nd Jnanpith Award on eminent modern Bengali poet Shankha Ghosh.
An announcement in this regard was made at a meeting of the board chaired by noted scholar, writer and critic Prof. Namwar Singh.
With this announcement, the award returned to Bengal after a gap of 20 years. Before Ghosh, noted Bengali fiction writer and social activist Mahasweta Devi won the award in 1996.
About Shankha Ghosh
• Born in 1932, Shankha Ghosh is a prolific poet, critic and academician.
• He is an authority on Tagore, whose poetic idiom and experiments with various poetic forms mark his greatness as a creative talent.
• His poems convey messages but free of polemics.
• Ghosh is a poet with an eye to the social milieu and his poems record both his time and space in a rare poetic style.
• Murkho Baro, Samajik Noy and Baborer Prarthana are some of his classic creations.
• Dinguli Raatguli and Nihita Patalchaya are among those creations which have inspired a whole generation of modern poetry due to their unique form and feeling.
• His poems have been translated into many Indian languages that include Hindi, Assamese, Punjabi and Malayalam.
• His works have been translated into many foreign languages as well.
• He is a recipient of many coveted awards that include Narsingh Das Puraskar, Sahitya Akademi Award and Saraswati Samman
About Jnanpith Award
• It is India’s one of the prestigious awards in the field of literature.
• The name of the award is derived from two Sanskrit words – Jnana and Pitha – which mean knowledge-seat.
• The award was instituted by the Bharatiya Jnanpith trust in 1961.
• The award is given to any Indian citizen who writes in any of the 22 languages mentioned in the VIII Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
• The award includes a cash prize of 11 lakh rupees, a citation plaque and a bronze replica of Saraswati.
• The 51st Jnanpith Award was conferred on renowned Gujarati writer Dr Raghuveer Chaudhari.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.