Smart City remains top in NDMC’s 2017-18 annual budget
NDMC in its budget talks about the special purpose vehicle (SPV) that has received Rs 194 crore till now. It proposes to provide additional Rs 56 crore to it.
The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on 13 January 2017 presented its budget for the financial year 2017-18. The budget for the upcoming financial year was prepared with a focus on the making Lutyens’ Delhi a ‘smart city’.
The receipts of the budget estimate (BE) for 2017-18 is Rs 3627.08 crore against Rs 3404.51 crore provided in revised estimates (RE) 2016-17.
NDMC chairperson Naresh Kumar who presented the budget reiterated NDMC’s goal of improving the services in its area with the help of technology. The budget talks about old projects like providing Wi-Fi connectivity to the residents as well as a smart parking management system.
Highlights of NDMC’s 2017-18 Budget
• Smart cities mission: The budget talks about the smart cities mission and informs that the NDMC was one of the first 20 cities that was selected under the Union Government’s Smart Cities Mission. To meet the expectations, the council had established a wholly owned Public Limited Company namely, New Delhi Municipal Council Smart City Limited (SPV). For running the company, NDMC has proposed to transfer Rs 50 crore in the year 2017-18 and Rs 44 crore for the financial year 2016-17.
• Good Governance through e-Governance, m-Governance and Public Engagement: To increase transparency and ensure good governance, the 2017-18 NDMC budget proposes to increase the equity, efficiency and effectiveness in a transparent manner through an intervention of technology. The steps for the same will include
a) Open NDMC by design: For feedbacks, citizens will be engaged via mobile NDMC 311 App. The app will facilitate people to communicate with NDMC. The budget also proposes to launch a user-friendly website of NDMC.
b) Strengthening of public service governance to improve customer experience among others
• Smart Technology: NDMC in its annual budget 2017-18 talks about technology which will help it in instilling greater accountability, transparency, efficiency and promptness, increased reliance via online services.
• Digital interactive Information Panels: The budget talks of creating smart digital interactive information panels, which would help it in disseminating information online at various locations in NDMC areas, are proposed in the NDMC area, which will act as Wi-Fi hotspots.
• Street Lights Poles: NDMC in its latest 2017-18 budget calls for transforming all street light poles in NDMC area with Warm LED fittings under PPP model. Despite floating RFP two times, no positive response received from the industry.
• Large size multi-media LED screens: The budget talks about fixing three 20 X 10 feet multi-media LED screens, which will be used to disseminate real-time air quality monitoring data along with advertisement purpose for revenue generation. Installation of these screens will be completed in March 2017.
• Shivaji Terminal: It proposes to modernise and redevelop Shivaji Terminal as per provisions of MPD 2021 to create world class infrastructure through NDMC's SPV. The SPV will develop facility on Design, Build and Finance basis (DBF)
Other proposals of the budget include digital apprenticeships, technological innovation fund, NDMC'S green future entrepreneur award for students, commercial development project, redevelopment of East Kidwai Nagar, social development (includes Medical services, education, sports infrastructure, skill development and culture and recreational engagement among others).
It also talks about NDMC's City Infrastructure and this includes electricity, solar energy, water management, sewer management, smart roads, transforming sub-ways, barrier free NDMC, road safety, smart public toilet units and public bike sharing among others.
The NDMC budget 2017-18 also talks about Environmental Sustainability (Green NDMC) under which it will launch NDMC's Sustainability Scheme of Rs. 7.5 crore. It will promote conservation of resources and promotion of green initiatives among others.