7 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as new life insurance scheme for farmers, test-launch of first hypersonic aircraft and Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana among others.
1. Which Indian American among the following is soon going to step down as Pepsico CEO after 12 years of helming the post?
a) Indra Nooyi
b) Satya Nadella
c) Arundhati Bhattacharya
d) Sundar Pichai
2. Which state government has launched life insurance scheme worth Rs 5 lakh for farmers?
d) Madhya Pradesh
3. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has freezed its trade ties with which nation?
4. According to UN Report, which nation has not stopped its nuclear and missile programmes?
a) North Korea
5. Who has been sworn in as the third sitting judge of the Supreme Court of India?
a) Indira Banerjee
b) Gita Mittal
c) Sunita Agarwal
d) Hima Kohli
6. Which country successfully test-launched its first hypersonic aircraft?
7. Which state’s High Court recently banned the commercial use of elephants?
8. Which space agency recently introduced the crew of nine astronauts for first manned space launch since 2011?
a) European space agency
d) China Manned Space Agency
9. The Article 35A of the Indian Constitution pertains to which state?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
c) Jammu and Kashmir
10. The Union Government recently constituted a four-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to decide on RCEP talks. The group will be headed by whom?
a) Piyush Goyal
b) Nirmala Sitharaman
c) Hardeep Puri
d) Suresh Prabhu
11. Which state recently launched the Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana for girl child?
c) Uttar Pradesh
12. Which country was elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD)?
c) Sri Lanka
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Indra Nooyi
Pepsico CEO Indra Nooyi will step down from her position in October, after helming the post for the last 12 years. She will, however, continue to serve as the Chairman of the company till early 2019. Pepsico veteran, Ramon Laguarta will succeed Nooyi as the new CEO of the company.
2. (c) Telangana
The state government of Telangana has launched the first-of-its-kind life insurance programme worth Rs 5 lakh for the farmers in the state. The scheme, which is called Rythu Bandhu Life Insurance Bonds, is expected to benefit 2.8 million farmers and their families.
3. (c) Canada
Saudi Arabia has frozen its trade ties with Canada over its interference in Gulf Kingdom's internal affairs. The move followed the decision of Saudi foreign ministry to expel the Canadian ambassador from the nation and recalling its own envoy in Canada.
4. (a) North Korea
North Korea has not stopped its nuclear and missile programs and is violating UN sanctions including a massive increase in illicit ship-to-ship transfers of petroleum products, revealed a new UN report. The report also stated that North Korea is violating sanctions by transferring coal at sea and flouting an arms embargo and financial sanctions.
5. (a) Indira Banerjee
With the swearing-in of Justice Indira Banerjee, the Supreme Court will for the first time in its history have three sitting women judges. Justice Banerjee is the eighth woman judge in the Supreme Court since Independence. Before her, senior advocate Indu Malhotra was appointed as the seventh woman judge in the apex court.
6. (b) China
China on August 6, 2018 announced that it has successfully tested its first cutting-edge hypersonic aircraft, which could carry nuclear warheads and penetrate any current generation anti-missile defence system.
7. (a) Uttarakhand
Uttarakhand High Court (HC) on August 3, 2018 banned the commercial use of elephants in the state and directed the state forest department to rescue the elephants deployed for commercial purposes within a time span of 24 hours.
8. (b) NASA
The US space agency NASA on August 3, 2018 introduced to the world the crew of nine astronauts who will fly on American-made spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS) from the US soil for the first time since the space shuttle’s retirement in 2011.
9. (c) Jammu and Kashmir
The Article 35A of the Indian Constitution was in news recently as the Supreme Court on August 6, 2018 adjourned the hearing on pleas challenging Constitutional validity of Article 35A pertaining to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
10. (d) Suresh Prabhu
The Union Government on August 6, 2018 constituted a four-member Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu. The GoM has been constituted to advise Prime Minister Narendra Modi on whether to continue with or withdraw from the 16-member Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) negotiations.
11. (a) Bihar
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’. The ambitious scheme will provide Rs 54100 from the birth of a girl child till she graduates. The ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana’ will be run by three departments — education, health and social welfare.
12. (d) India
India was elected as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for a period of 2 years. India got elected against Iran during voting which took place at the 44th annual gathering of AIBD in Colombo, Sri Lanka on August 4, 2018.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week